Skip navigation
Media File
R. C. Williams & Co. Inc.
Date: founded 1811
Remarks: R.C. Williams was founded in 1811 on South Street as wholesale grocery commission merchants. Located nearby New York’s active shipping docks, Williams became known for importing, exporting, and distributing such goods as rum, sugar, and canned foods. The firm also distributed its own international brands, a venture that began with the Royal Scarlet line of foods. In the early 1930s, R. C. Williams built a large warehouse on the High Line so that the firm could take advantage of the city’s elevated freight lines.