Skip navigation
Media File
Dr. Egon Neustadt
Remarks: The New-York Historical Society's entire collection of 132 Tiffany lamps and three windows came as the gift of a single collector, Dr. Egon Neustadt, in 1984. Dr. Neustadt, an Austrian immigrant, New York City orthodontist, and successful real estate developer, began collecting Tiffany lamps in 1935, when he and his wife Hildegard purchased their first lamp in a Greenwich Village antique shop. Tiffany Studios had declared bankruptcy only a few years earlier, after years of steadily declining interest in their designs. Over the course of five decades, Dr. Neustadt amassed one of the most important and most comprehensive Tiffany collections in the world.