Skip navigation
Media File
James Lenox
Date: 1800 - 1880
Remarks: James Lenox was the son of Robert Lenox (1759-1839), of Kirkcudbright,Scotland and Rachel (Carmer) Lenox (1763-1839), of New York. Mr. Lenox was the nephew of James Lenox. He was the brother of Elizabeth Sproat Lenox (Mrs. Robert Maitland, 1785-1864) and Alethea Lenox. After leaving Columbia (1818), he became a member of the New York Bar Association (1822). He began working in his father's law firm, but soon turned his interest to philanthropy. Mr. Lenox contributed greatly to the Presbyterian Hospital and the Lenox Library. He signed over large portions of his land (area of 5th Ave. and 70th Street) to sponor the organizations. He donated his own library along with rare books, among them an excellent collection of Bibles, including the 1st Gutenberg Bible in America, to insure the library's success. The Lenox libary was later combined with the Astor and Tilden Libaries to form the New York Public Libary. He was also a member of the New York Historical Society.