Skip navigation
Media File
Brooklyn Glass Works
Date: active 1823 - 1868
Remarks: The Brooklyn Flint Glass Works was founded in Brooklyn, NY in 1823 by John L. Gilliland, who had worked as a glass cutter at the New England Glass Works and was a co-founder of the Bloomingdale Glass Works in New York City in 1820. The Brooklyn Glass Works made plain, molded, pressed, and cut glass wares. No cut glass was made at the works until the 1840s, though blanks for cutting were supplied to independent cutters in New York City and Philadelphia. In 1825 glassware made at Brooklyn and cut in Philadelphia was exhibited at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia. The Glassworks moved to Corning, New York in 1868 and was renamed the Corning Flint Glass Works.