Skip navigation

Object Name: Sword, scabbard and belt
Date: 1820-1850
Related People:
Medium: Steel, brass, wood; brass; leather, textile, brass, other metal
Dimensions: Overall (Without Belt): 41 7/8 × 6 1/2 × 1 in. (106.4 × 16.5 × 2.5 cm)
Place made: Europe, France
Description: Sword (saber) with curved, single-edged steel blade with clipped point, quill back, and etched designs on obverse and reverse; brass hilt with four-sided knuckle-bow with leaf and berry pattern on obverse and reverse and oval medallion at center, the obverse side of the medallion with standing figure in profile and the reverse side with a stylized flower; curved quillon, which is also four-sided and decorated with leaf and berry pattern, terminates in oval finial with animal (lion?) mask adorning face; knuckle-bow and quillon are separated by a rectangular panel with superimosed oval portrait medallion (male bust in profile) forming langet on obverse side, and panel and shield-shaped langet molded with crossed swords on reverse; four-sided wooden grip with cross-hatching on obverse and reverse; pistol grip pommel; brass scabbard with two carrying rings attached to spherical mounts, each with an animal mask on either side, and slightly asymmetrical drag with scrolled sections at either side framing a ribbed oval finial; obverse of scabbard decorated with two hexagonal panels with standing figures in profile, one almond-shaped panel with diamond enclosing a sword(?), incised circles and half-circles with stylized floral designs, and other incised motifs; waist belt made of embroidered red leather with chains and clips for attaching to carrying rings on scabbard; belt buckle made of curved, rectangular piece of brass with gilded emblem consisting of six banners centering a sword with laurel and oak branches at either side.
Credit Line: Gift of Robert W. Tailer
Object Number: 1944.160a-c
Send to a Friend
Marks: etched: on obverse of blade below hilt: "Schimmelbush / & fils" etched: on reverse of blade below hilt: "La Pinger[?]"

Gallery Label:

According to the accession records, this sword belonged to Colonel James Lee (1796-1874).