Skip navigation
St. John's Church and the President's House, Washington, DC
Date: ca. 1882
Related People:
Medium: Watercolor on paper laid on card
Dimensions: Overall: 3 3/4 x 7 3/8 in. ( 9.5 x 18.7 cm ) mat: 9 7/8 x 14 in. ( 25.1 x 35.6 cm )
Place made: North America, United States, Washington DC
Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. Warwick Potter
Object Number: 1976.64
Send to a Friend
Marks: inscription: lower center, on mount: "St. John's Church, Washington, and The President's House./From a drawing by B.H. Latrobe, Esq., made in 1816" inscription: verso: "Mrs. Fish/With the regards of/H.B. Davis/Washington/29 Nov. 1882"
Inscribed: Inscribed on card at lower center in graphite and black watercolor: "St John's Church, Washington and The President's House, / From a drawing by B. H. Latrobe, Esq., made in 1816."; verso inscribed vertically along right edge in brown ink: "Mrs. Fish / with the regards of / H.B. Davis[?] / Washington / 29 Nov 1882"

Gallery Label:

St. John's Episcopal Church, a notable example of Federal architecture, is located at the northwest corner of 16th and H streets. It was erected in 1816 from designs by Latrobe. This is a copy by an unidentified artist after a study by Latrobe in 1816 showing its original appearance in the form of a Greek cross with a flat dome and lantern cupola. A few years later it was enlarged and a tower was added, which is seen in a watercolor of the church drawn in 1822 by the Baroness Hyde de Neuville.