Skip navigation
The Twilight

Object Name: Kerosene burner unit
Date: 1894-1910
Related People:
Medium: Metal, glass
Dimensions: Overall: 8 5/8 x 2 3/8 in. ( 21.9 x 6 cm )
Place made: North America, United States
Probably:
Description: Metal burner unit for kerosene lamp attached to opaque white cylindrical glass font decorated with applied green glass with leaf formations; burner unit has two arms holding a metal ring to support the glass shade; a wick holder with adjustment knob, and a pierced gallery around the wick holder. Glass font has metal fitting at bottom which slides into lamp base.
Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. John V. Irwin
Object Number: 1942.244c
Send to a Friend
Marks: in relief: on knob: "THE P. & A. MFG CO/ACORN" stamped: on ring supporting shade: "THE TWILIGHT" stamped: on arm supporting ring: "PAT MAY 22, 1894"

Gallery Label:

The glass base and shade of this lamp were manufactured by Tiffany Studios, but the burner unit, patented in 1894 and called "The Twilight," was manufactured elsewhere. Tiffany Studios assembled these lamps and sold them in their Madison Avenue showroom.