Skip navigation

Object Name: Cavalry saber and scabbard
Date: ca. 1861
Related People:
Medium: Steel, brass, leather; steel
Dimensions: Overall: 42 3/8 x 5 x 4 1/4 in. ( 107.6 x 12.7 x 10.8 cm )
Place made: North America, United States, Chicopee
Description: Saber with curved, single-edged steel blade with fuller extending from ricasso to within about 7 inches of point; brass half-basket hilt with two sweeping branches joining oval counter-guard on obverse side; grip covered in leather and wrapped with twisted wire; helmet-shaped pommel without surface decoration; steel scabbard with two carrying rings and slightly asymmetrical drag; inscriptions engraved between carrying rings on obverse of scabbard.
Credit Line: Gift of Mrs. R. Horace Gallatin
Object Number: 1926.61ab
Send to a Friend
Marks: stamped: on obverse of blade near hilt: "U. S. / A K / 186[. . . ?]" stamped: on reverse of blade near hilt: "AMES MF. . . / CHICOP. . . / MASS" engraved: on tip of counter-guard: "Fordham Morris" engraved: on scabbard, between carrying rings: "Wilderness. / Spottsylvania. / North Anna. / Cold Harbor. / Siege of Petersburg. / Weldon Rail Road. / Peebles Farm. / 1st Hatchers Run. / Quaker Road. / White Oak Road. / Five Forks. / Appomattox C. H."

Gallery Label:

Sabers of this type were used by enlisted men in the U.S. Cavalry from 1840 until the second decade of the twentieth century (see "The American Sword, 1775-1945," p. 32). This particular saber belonged to Lieutenant Fordham Morris (1842-1909), the donor's father. According to the accession records, Lieutenant Morris served in the 5th Army Corps, Artillery Brigade, in the Civil War.