Skip navigation

Object Name: Fruit stand
Date: 1874
Related People:
Medium: Silver, gilt
Dimensions: Overall: 7 × 17 3/8 × 9 3/8 in. (17.8 × 44.1 × 23.8 cm)
Place made: North America, United States, Providence
Description: Renaissance Revival wrought and seamed silver footed serving dish with gilt decoration; oval in plan with a matte-finished exterior and gilded interior; the raised body has a deep well rising to low, scroll cut sides with cut work foliate scrolls and bouquet filled compotes with bright-cut engraving, on the interior front and back, the bowl raises high and round at the sides; applied, gilt rim of vertical banding; cast loop handles at the sides with reeded edges, scroll design in the centers and cast, gilt head's of gods at the top of each; bowl applied to a cast, matte-finished ring stand with a die-rolled foliate band, leaves gilt, with gilt beading along the edges; four cast scrolled feet with acanthus decoration and gilding at the corners; engraved, "J/ R" overlapped on the center front; maker's marks on the base.
Credit Line: Gift of the children and grandchildren of John Roach
Object Number: 1920.18k
Send to a Friend
Marks: Stamped on base: "STERLING" above "C", a lion passant in a chamfered rectangle, an anchor in a rectangle and a "G" in gothic script in a chamfered rectangle over "700"; engraved on front: overlapping, "J/ R"

Gallery Label:

This serving dish was part of a tea and coffee serviced presented to John Roach (1815-1887) on April 30, 1874 at a lavish gentlemen's dinner held at Delmonico's restaurant in New York City. Honored by eighty-two businessmen for "all he had done to revive American shipbuilding," Roach was regarded as a champion of the industry and its workers. The Roach presentation received extensive attention in contemporary newspapers. The New York Times described it as "a magnificent collection of plate, worthy in every way of the high reputation of the Gorham Manufacturing Company." Made in the years following Gorham's expansion, the service required the work of numerous specialist craftsmen with its construction taking more than sixty-four hours to complete.