Skip navigation

Object Name: Platter: Kings Chapel, Boston
Date: 1830-1864
Related People:
Medium: Earthenware
Dimensions: Overall: 1 1/4 x 14 x 11 1/2 in. ( 3.2 x 35.6 x 29.2 cm )
Place made: Europe, England
Description: Oval pearlware platter; red transfer printed flower basket and lace in scrolled cartouche border with stone building with pillars (King's Chapel in Boston)
Credit Line: The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection
Object Number: 1961.345
Send to a Friend
Marks: printed: on reverse: "KING'S CHAPEL/BOSTON. MASS/Wm ADAMS & Co./ESTD 1657/ENGLAND' stamped: on reverse: "REAL BOSTON CHINA"; "B" typed: on reverse: paper label "KING'S CHAPEL was established at a time when the Church of England was not all popular in New England. Governor Andrews first forced OLD SOUTH to give over its building part time for Episcopal services, then he appropriated a corner of the bury ground for a church building. The church was organized in 1686, and a small wooden builing was put up at what is now the corner of Tremont and School Streets. This house was enlarged in 1710, but in the middle of the 18th century the present stone building was begun. It was built around the old house so that services would not be interrupted. When the new church was commpleted in 1749, the old structure was torn out and the beautiful interior of the new building was disclosed. Governor Shirley and Sir Harry Frankland were among the subscribers to the new house. Under the pastorate of Rev. James Freeman in 1786, this the first Episcopal church in New England became the first Unitarian church in America. One of Paul Revere's finest bells calls the people to worship."

Provenance:

The Dr. Arthur H. Merritt Collection of Anglo-American Historical Staffordshire