Skip navigation
Spring water bottle

Object Name: Bottle
Date: 1870-1880
Related People:
Medium: Glass
Dimensions: Overall: 9 1/2 x 4 in. ( 24.1 x 10.2 cm )
Place made: United States, Saratoga
Description: Green, non-lead, glass bottle blown in a three-part mold with embossed lettering; bottle has a cylindrical neck with hand-tooled finish with a downturned lip and V-shaped string rim, rounded shoulders, and a cylindrical body embossed with a large "E" within an arch formed by the inscription CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ SARATOGA NY" on the obverse side, "EMPIRE WATER" in an arch on the reverse.
Credit Line: Gift of Clarence G. Michalis
Object Number: 1953.420
Send to a Friend
Marks: embossed: on obverse side; "CONGRESS & EMPIRE SPRING CO./ SARATOGA NY" embossed: on reverse side; "EMPIRE WATER"

Gallery Label:

This bottle represents the pint style that was made by the Congressville Glass Works (in operation 1865-1890) for the Congress & Empire Spring Co., of Saratoga, NY. The "E" and "EMPIRE WATER" refers to the Empire Spring, which was a source for bottled water in Saratoga starting in 1848. This brand was one of the most popular of the Saratoga mineral waters. Between 75,000 and 100,000 bottles were sold by the company in 1878, and were shipped to many parts of the world (McKearin & Wilson 1978).