Skip navigation
Civil Defense uniform coat worn by Ann L. Adikes (1896–1956)

Object Name: Coat
Date: 1942
Related People:
Medium: Wool, silk, metal
Dimensions: Overall: 28 3/4 × 17 × 3 in. (73 × 43.2 × 7.6 cm)
Place made: North America, United States, New York
Description: Medium blue wool women's New York Civil Defense Volunteer's single-breasted coat; double collar and short lapels, insignia patches at the corners of the collar; shoulder loops with buttons at the collar end; 3 buttons down the front anchored to the coat at the shanks with wire coils from the inside; a pocket at each breast and hip with flaps which button closed; closed sleeves (no cuffs), left sleeve has insignia at the shoulder and 6 red stripes set at a diagonal below the shoulder; all buttons cast with the Great Seal of the U.S.; 2 panels at the back; lined with blue twill-weave silk.
Credit Line: Gift of the Mayor’s Committee
Object Number: 1946.89a
Send to a Friend
Marks: Embroidered maker's label, inside neck: "Saks Fifth Avenue"; cast on the face of each button: "E PLURISBUS UNUM"; stamped on reverse of each button: "HANDY MACHCO / NEW YORK"

Gallery Label:

This uniform was worn in New York City, 1942-1945, by a member of the Civilian Defense Volunteer Organization. After the sinking of thousands of tons of shipping near New York harbor and German radio's threat to target New York, Mayor La Guardia formed the Civil Defense. During the war more than 400,000 New Yorkers joined.