Skip navigation
The Three Buildings of the John Street Methodist Church, New York City, (1768-1841): Study for a Lithograph
Date: 1844
Related People:
Medium: Watercolor, black ink, and graphite on paper, laid on board, over-matted
Dimensions: Overall: 16 1/4 x 39 1/8 in. (41.3 x 99.4 cm) mat: 23 x 48 x 1 1/2 in. ( 58.4 x 121.9 x 3.8 cm )
Place made: North America, United States
Description: Architecture: This view shows the three buildings of the John Street Methodist Church. A separate building at the bottom center is inscribed: "The Old Rigging Loft as it now / stands 120 William Street. 1844-- / formerly Cart and Horse-Street". Each of the three buildings is separately identified, and the names of the "old" Board of Trustees and the Trustees of 1844 are included.
Credit Line: New-York Historical Society
Object Number: X.387
Send to a Friend
Inscribed: Inscribed at lower center: "Respectfully inscribed to the Trustees and Members of the / First Methodist Episocpal Church in John Street N. York"; copious additional inscriptions, some in etiquettes

Gallery Label:

This is evidently the original drawing, with the buildings rearranged, from which a lithograph (19 1/8 x 27 1/4 in.) in colors was made in 1844 by Endicott, 22 John Street, New York (a copy is held in the Print Room, New-York Historical Society). The first church shown here was erected in 1768; the second was rebuilt in 1817 and later taken down to widen the street; and the third building was rebuilt in 1841.