Skip navigation
FOUNDED IN 1847/CUNY/DESTROYED IN 197??/FREE TUITION/OPEN ADMISSIONS

Object Name: Pin-back button
Date: 1974
Related People:
Medium: Metal
Dimensions: Overall: 1 1/2 in. (3.8 cm)
Description: "FOUNDED IN 1847/CUNY/DESTROYED IN 197??/FREE TUITION/OPEN ADMISSIONS." White letters on blue.
Credit Line: Gift of Glen Fleischman
Object Number: 2008.18.1.18
Send to a Friend

Gallery Label:

The City University of New York dates back to the 1847 formation of the Free Academy which later became The City College. In response to the civil rights movement of the 1960's, CUNY changed its increasingly competitive admission standards and moved towards a policy of open admissions. The first open admissions class was admitted in fall, 1970. CUNY maintained a free tuition policy until 1975.