Skip navigation
Fort Ticonderoga Commemorative Medal
Date: 1955
Related People:
Medium: Bronze; cardboard, paper
Dimensions: Overall: 3 in. (7.6 cm) Container (box): 3 1/4 × 3 1/4 × 1/2 in. (8.3 × 8.3 × 1.3 cm)
Place made: North America, United States, New York
Description: Bronze struck medal with obverse showing figure of eighteenth-century military officer at left with cannons behind him and fragment of fort structure at right; inscription above: "FORT/TICONDEROGA/BICENTENNIAL/1755/1955"; inscription below, at right: "MICHEL MARQUIS de/CHARTIER de LOTBINIERE." Reverse depicts an eagle at center perched upon military symbols; below are two rectangular tablets bearing French and British heraldic symbols: fleur-de-lys, at left, and three lions, at right; surrounding legend: "WASHINGTON.AMHERST.BURGOYNE.ALLEN.SCHYULER.BROWN.PUTNAM.KNOX.ROGERS.CHAMPLAIN. MONTCALM." Medal set into cream-colored square cardboard box.
Credit Line: Gift of John H.G. Pell
Object Number: 1955.87
Send to a Friend
Marks: Inscription: obverse, at lower left of image: "C.N.G." Inscription: edge, lower center: "MEDALLIC ART CO. N.Y." Inscription: box cover, inscribed in black ink: "12/21/55//Gift of Mr./John H. G. Patt, Dir./Fort Ticonderoga Mus./One of 100 copies/struck in 1955."

Gallery Label:

Fort Ticonderoga was built in 1755 by Michel Chartier de Lotbiniere on what was formerly known as the French Territory. The fort was originally intended to protect water highways used for fur trade. During the Revolutionary War period Fort Ticonderoga played a major role in the outcome of the war.
This medal, presented to the N-YHS by John H.G. Pell, Director of Fort Ticonderoga Museum, was one of 100 commemorative medals struck in 1955.