Skip navigation
William Pitt, the Elder, First Earl of Chatham (1708–1778)

Object Name: Statue
Date: ca. 1770
Related People:
Medium: Marble
Dimensions: Overall: 71 x 29 x 29 in. ( 180.3 x 73.7 x 73.7 cm )
Description: Portrait (full-length)
Credit Line: Gift of Mr. Simon F. Mackie
Object Number: 1864.5
Send to a Friend
Marks: On plaque: "MARBLE STATUE OF WILLIAM PITT (LORD CHATHAM) / THIS STATUE WAS ERECTED BY THE COLONY OF NEW YORK SEPTEMBER 7, 1770 AT THE INTERSECTION OF WALL AND WILLIAM STREETS IT WAS MUTILATED BY THE BRITISH SOLDIERS SOON AFTER THEIR OCCUPATION OF THE CITY IN 1776. JOSEPH WILSON, SCULPTOR"
Inscribed: Painted on back: "S-54"

Gallery Label:

This statue of William Pitt was commissioned by the colonists of New York to commemorate the English statesman who had lobbied Parliament successfully on their behalf for the repeal of the Stamp Act. The statue stood at the intersection of Wall and William Streets. After the British took possession of New York City in the fall of 1776, they decapitated the friend of the colonists and broke off his arms. The statue was removed from Wall Street in 1788.

Exhibitions:

"The British in New York Since 1770," New-York Historical Society, October 9, 2001–January 13, 2002.