Object Name: Architect's sign
Date: ca. 1837
Dimensions: Overall: 40 x 25 3/4 x 4 1/2 in. ( 101.6 x 65.4 x 11.4 cm )
Place made: North America, U.S.A., New York
Description: Rectangular wooden sign with wrought iron hooks for hanging; high relief applied wooden Greek portico affixed to both sides (one side missing); black painted ground and brown portico; gilded inscription across bottom.
Credit Line: Gift of Mr. Thomas E. Snook, Jr.
Send to a Friend
Object Number: 1953.197
Marks: painted in gold: on both sides: "JNO. B. SNOOK/ Architect./ ESTABLISHED 1837"
This trade sign, depicting the facade of a Greek temple, hung in front of the office of architect John Butler Snook (1815-1901), who established his firm in 1837. A largely self-taught architect, Snook played an instrumental role in developing the streetscape of downtown Manhattan. Among his notable buildings were the A.T. Stewart "Marble Palace" (1845-46), Grand Central Depot (1869-71), the Metropolitan Hotel (1849-52), as well as numerous private homes.