Object Name: Advertising lamp
Medium: Metal, glass
Dimensions: Overall: 30 in. × 17 1/2 in. (76.2 × 44.5 cm)
Description: A glass and copper hanging oil lamp, converted to electricity, with a mechanical chain retraction device at the top which made it easy to raise and lower the lamp for refilling of the oil reservoir. The circular thin white glass shade is hand painted on both sides with purple flowers with green leaves and brown branches and reads in black "The Pittsburgh Lamp". The white glass oil reservoir, printed with pink flowers with green leaves, hangs under the shade and although converted to hold an electric light bulb still retains its wick adjustment knob and refill cap.
Credit Line: Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Send to a Friend
Object Number: 2002.1.3198
The Pittsburgh Lamp, Brass and Glass Company produced a variety of oil and kerosene lamps during the early twentieth century and was re-named Kopp Glass in 1926 after its owner and chemist, Nicholas Kopp.
"Bella C. Landauer: Collector of Enterprise," New-York Historical Society, March 18-July 20, 2003.